Should We Buy This House?

Before you buy can be a great time to talk with an architect. Sometimes when you are looking for a new home you may find one that has a lot of potential, but also things you just couldn’t live with long term. In this case, knowing whether a renovation or addition project is practical can make the difference between buying a house or continuing to look. A consultation with New Leaf Home Design can help you to sort it out.

For instance, you may want to open up a wall between the kitchen and an adjacent dining or family room but aren’t sure about how that would work structurally. Combining two small bedrooms to create a master suite, or adding a first floor master to a house that currently has all the bedrooms upstairs are other things you may be wondering about. You might have the feeling that a house has plenty of square foot age, but the current layout doesn’t use that space well. Converting a garage into a kitchen or family room and adding a new garage is an other possibility. New Leaf Home Design has experience with all of these project types and many more. I can help you decide what can be done with the home you are considering and whether it is the right home for you.

Here’s how it works

Once you’ve found a home that meets most of your needs, give me a call. We’ll set up a time with your realtor to meet at the house. Then we’ll do some brainstorming about the possibilities. It will take about 90 minutes to 2 hours for us to create a vision of what can be done and understand how practical it is, with a cost of about $350. If we spend a little longer, I can do some quick measurements and leave you with a sketch of a solution.

After you’ve purchased a house and want to make the changes we’ve discussed, New Leaf Home Design can help with that too! Sometimes the consultation is all you need, but other projects may benefit from full architectural design services. I use 3D CAD modeling software, so you’ll be able to see what your renovations will look like. Then I’ll create the drawings you’ll need to get permits and have contractors do the work. I can provide suggestions of experienced contractors if you would like some recommendations.