What about fees?
Every project is different.
Your home is unique, and the design for your renovation will be unique too, reflecting your family’s lifestyle, character, & goals. We begin designing to fit your needs by matching the fees for your project to your scope of work.
Two ways to start:
- Consultation Meeting. For some smaller projects, it makes sense to start working together at an hourly rate right away. I can come out, listen to what you want to accomplish, and give you immediate feedback. This is best when you are adding or renovating just a small area like a bathroom or laundry. I can tell you whether what you want to do is practical, how we can approach challenges like bearing walls you want to open up, and even provide sketches during the same meeting.
- Free Introduction Meeting. If you are just starting to think about a project, or if you are interviewing a few architects, an Introduction meeting is the way to go. We can get together at your home at no charge, so we can talk about what you hope to accomplish. This gives you a chance to tell me about your project and ask me questions about what it would be like to work together. It can also help you get more focused on what you want for your home so you are ready to move on to the next step. Please note that if we meet more than 30 minutes from my west Akron studio I will need to charge for some of the time in this meeting.
- A Written Proposal, so you’ll know what to expect. You’ll enjoy your new home, renovation, or addition for many years, so we’ll need some time to make good decisions, and create plenty of drawings and other information showing what you want in your finished home. If we will be working together for more than just a consultation, I’ll create a written proposal with fees based on how much time it will take me to create a design for your particular project. In most cases, the fee will be broken down into several phases, relating to our design review meetings. I base my fees on the amount of time I expect to invest in your project, but the prices I give you in the proposal will stay the same as long as your scope of work doesn’t change.
- About how much will that be? A consultation will usually take one or two hours, so getting together to brainstorm will cost about $350. When I work with you through the full design process, the design fees will depend on the scope of your project, the style of your house, how much detail you want to provide for contractors, how many different possible solutions you would like to consider, and more. Give me a call to tell me a little about your project and I may be able to let you know approximately how much to expect.
Can I really afford an Architect?
- Yes! Even if we only spend a few hours together, I’ll answer your questions and help you make more informed decisions. Because I develop unique solutions for each project, we can find a level of services that meets your budget. Having me as part of your project team gives you an ally who has been through this before.
- Percentage of Construction Cost. You may have heard of this method of establishing architectural fees, and the time required for design does have a strong relationship to the cost of the project. If you look online or listen to design shows, often you will hear a range of 10% to 20% of construction cost for residential work, with renovation projects tending to be at the upper end of that range. I’ve found I can provide the services my clients need for considerably less than that. If you are using fairly standard construction methods and work with the contractor as part of the project team rather than doing competitive bidding, I can give you the benefits of thoughtful design with more streamlined architectural services.
Projects that aren’t a fit for New Leaf Home Design.
- New Leaf isn’t right for every project. If you already have a design worked out and just need to have it drawn up for the building department, it makes more sense to work with a drafting service than an architect. I provide careful planning and individualized attention, so if you are in a rush for drawings I may not be able to fit your project in my schedule. If you want a new home design where energy efficiency, careful use of space, and connection to the site are not high priorities, another designer may be better for you.
What’s the value of working with New Leaf Home Design?
- Spending your renovation dollars well. Careful planning is what makes a project the best it can be. “Where does the sun come in? Where do the shoes go? What is the view from this spot? Will the people in this room feel connected to activities in the next space?” A New Leaf home design considers these questions and many more. After all, you don’t just want more square footage, you want a place where you will feel at home.
To schedule an introduction meeting, please call me at (330) 329-6901, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and find out if New Leaf Home Design is a good fit for your project.